Monday, June 8, 2009

Onion River Exploration Project

I have decided that since my life wasn’t busy enough, I needed yet another hobby. I have recently finished reading the Tecate Journals by Keith Bowden. It is about canoeing down the Rio Grande. I have decided to prepare for and kayak down the Buffalo River which runs past our family farm back in Buffalo County. It has been kind of a pipe dream of mine since I was young. So why, you may ask, is this called the Onion River Exploration Project and not The Buffalo River Exploration Project? In looking in to a place to train for the trip I thought the Onion River the obvious choice and in researching it found it to be very interesting in its own right. It also fits my philosophy of finding adventure close to home. I don’t want to waste a lot of time and gas traveling somewhere when I have something close at hand which I have never seen. I am somewhat concerned about how navigable parts of it might be so I am going to do it in sections, not necessarily in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment