Monday, July 6, 2009

Rice Lake

Day 11 (7/4/09)
As these things go, just when you think you have got something mastered, fate slaps you back to reality. We had decided to take a morning spin in the kayaks before the afternoon madness of the fourth of July started. I knew of a nice quiet little bay in Rice Lake where I always wanted to try for some bass. Before I could get started though, I would have to put on something weed-less. So I pulled a weed-less mouse out of my tackle box and proceeded to change lures. Fortunately for me I had snapped closed my tackle box, because no sooner had I started to tie on the mouse then I dropped it over the side. In my over zealous attempt to grab the mouse I turned over the kayak and everything in it. The water wasn’t deep but it was muddy so I managed to have one of my “Crocs” (remember I mentioned earlier how crocs were the perfect footwear for kayaking) sucked off in the mud. Again, I learned a lesson easily because the croc was all that I lost. Note to self; always do everything in a kayak over the center of the boat. After that start, I did manage to catch a northern pike which flipped the hook as soon as I held it up for Eileen to photograph it. Oh well, the faster off the hook the better. Later, I had a huge strike but before I could set the hook it was off and running. I am never really ready to call it a day, but that was probably one of hardest days to come off the water I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment